Monday, February 17, 2014

MARQ

This weekend was a bit more tranquil than the previous; I didn't do a whole lot. However I am in the process of planning a trip to Valencia, which is about 100 miles north of Alicante and it's the capital of the autonomous community Comunidad Valenciana. Also I booked my ticket to the Alhamba, a beautiful palace constructed originally by the Muslim kings who once ruled southern Spain, in Granada; I'm not going for another month however, so it's going to be a long wait.

The MARQ
Anyways, back to this past weekend. On Saturday I went to the Museo Arqueológico Provincial de Alicante, or the Provincial Archaeology Museum of Alicante, which is abbreviated into MARQ. There were some really cool exhibits there, such as recreations of an excavation site, a Gothic cathedral and a Roman ship. The MARQ has tons of artifacts from every era of Spanish history, but focusing mainly on the region of Alicante of course. I liked the sections about the Iberos (the native people of the Iberian Peninsula and from whom the Peninsula received its name), the Romans and the Arabs the best.

Plaque stating that the MARQ was
inaugurated by the Queen of Spain 
La Dama (The Lady) de Cabezo Lucero - A statue
made by the Iberos (reconstructed a little)
Replica of a Roman ship
Muslim funeral inscription
Replica of a Gothic Cathedral


On Sunday, I didn't do much. Pacho, a friend and coworker of Dolo's, came over for lunch; he has been studying English for two years he said and I helped him practice it a little. Then Dolo suggested that we go to a tea house that she likes called Omaire Tetería, a lot about 15-20 minutes outside of the city. Those of you who know me very well, will know that I don't like tea, but they had other drinks too; I tried some sort of lime-mint drink, the waiter described it as a mojito without alcohol, it was very delicious.


Me at the tea house