Friday, May 2, 2014

Día del Trabajador

In Europe (and as far as I know in the rest of the world as well) May 1st, also called May Day, is Labor Day, or in Spanish: Día del Trabajador (Day of the Worker). Just like Labor Day in the United States, pretty much everyone gets the day off, including the schools. So Dolo and I both had the day off and we went to her friends' house just outside of Alicante. Since they live outside the city, they actually have a yard, albeit small, and they live near the Mediterranean. So after introductions, since I had never met this group of Dolo's friends, we went to the beach.

Now, it wasn't that much of what we would probably consider a beach because it was covered in rocks, but we found a small patch of sand to lay down on our towels and soak in the sun. After a little while, I decided I wanted to go for a swim. It was the first time I had swam in the Mediterranean so I was super happy because I love to swim. The water is still pretty cold, but it was probably close to 80 degrees yesterday so it felt pretty good.

The "beach"

Dolo swimming

Afterwards, we returned to her friends' house to have a barbecue. They made chicken (which they sprinkled with the orange juice - straight from the orange), longaniza, morcilla (black pudding), and a couple other types of sausages; so along with other dishes such as a salad, and some rice dish with raisins and cinnamon, and, of course, bread, we had a legit feast.

Before leaving, we hung up some Buddhist prayer flags (or something like that - I'm not quite sure what they are called exactly) and we tied ribbons representing wishes on their wish tree, which is dead, I think that be a bad omen, but oh well!



The wish tree

After returning home, I called my work because my bosses won a trip to Lisbon and I was planning on meeting them there and I wanted to make sure we still were planning on doing that; we are! So I bought my tickets to Lisbon for next weekend and I'm super excited because with the end of my stay in Spain about a month and a half away, I'm realizing that I'm running out of weekends to go traveling and I haven't even been to Barcelona yet!

And I forgot on last week's post (wow I can't believe it's already been a week since I came back from spring break!): Dolo had gone to visit her mom in Pinoso, who made us tortilla española and also my mom wanted to let everyone know how many pictures I took since she thought it was an insanely high number (which is probably is); between the four cities I went to I took 1,559 photos, wow!

Tortilla española