Monday, April 14, 2014

Domingo de Ramos

Today (technically it's Monday now here, but I swear I started it before midnight) in the Catholic world it is Palm Sunday, or as it is called in Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries, Domingo de Ramos. Every Palm Sunday in Alicante and other cities in Spain, there are processions where people dress up wearing pointed hats/masks (they look like the Klu Klux Klan masks, but the Spaniards were using them first and they are in no way shape or form used for the same purpose) carrying statues of biblical scenes while others carry palm branches. Domingo de Ramos is considered the start of Semana Santa, or Holy Week, and throughout the week there will be other processions in Alicante and other cities.
Dolo and me at the procession









Semana Santa is also spring break! Like I mentioned in my last post, I am going to Madrid, Segovia, Ávila, Toledo and El Escorial. I'm really excited; I'm not sure how I'm going to get through the three days of classes though before I leave, but I'll have to manage.

After the procession, I came home to eat and I did a little bit of homework before one of Dolo's friends picked me up and we went to Castillo Santa Bárbara where there is currently a Star Wars exhibit. It was really neat to see all of the Star Wars memorabilia.

The name of the exhibit:
The Whole Galaxy in the Castle

They had paintings of Star Wars scenes based
off of famous Spanish Paintings
Based off: The Nobleman with his Hand on his Chest
by El Greco

Based off: Saturn Devouring His Son by Goya

Based off: Guernica by Picasso